Friday, February 14, 2014

On this Valentine's Day: Why We Love Water

Here is a list of interesting facts and figures about one thing we love here at EPSCoR: Water!

Water and us! Water is a crucial part of our everyday existence. Water makes up anywhere from 55-78% of a human’s body weight, making it literally a part of our lives! At birth, water accounts for roughly 80% of the infant’s weight.

People should drink water regularly. A person can drink about 48 cups (that is roughly 3 gallons) each day. By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has lost over 1 percent of its total water amount!

Water in the World! Freshwater only accounts for 3% of the water on earth. The remaining 97% is salt water. Of that small percentage of freshwater, 30% of it is groundwater and most of the world’s freshwater is found in glaciers.

Where you live can dictate how fast your water boils. Water boils faster in Denver, Colorado than in New York City. So, a mile high also means quicker tea water.

Happy Valentine’s Day to our most beloved Valentine, water. 

These facts and more can be found here and here.

By Robin Rasmussen
Photo by Robin Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment