Mentor program offers exploratory study for summer youth
|During the program, youth improved the Arapaho|
Ranch by working on service projects.
|Youth went on a horse culture ride with Alison|
Sage from Arapaho Tribal Health.
- Documentary film-making with Alan O'Hashi, a regional film producer, using iPad minis;
- Poetry reading and writing with henry Real Bird (Crow Tribe), the 2009-2011 Montana poet laureate;
- Field trips to cultural and environmental sites: a buffalo jump, tipi rings, historic petroglyphs at Legend Rock, Thermopolis hot springs, and Anchor Reservoir;
- Service learning projects at the mansion and the ranch headquarters, clearing vegetation and debris from the grounds and updating paint on a roadside fence;
- Horse culture ride with Alison Sage from Arapaho Tribal Health;
- Buffalo wallow ecology discussion with Jason Baldes, an Eastern Shoshone scientist and buffalo expert.