Wednesday, August 13, 2014

SRAP 2014 Comes to a Close

On July 18th, the Summer Research Apprentice Program came to a close during the SRAP 2014 Symposium.

After spending six-weeks in various research labs at the University of Wyoming, 22 high school students presented their research and findings to peers, mentors, families and friends. Students created poster-boards for the morning poster session, and then presented their research during 15-minute oral presentations.  

SRAP 2014 participants 
“After six-weeks of seeing these wonderful students grow, it’s amazing to see them present their research so enthusiastically.” says Lisa Abeyta, Wyoming EPSCoR’s Student Research Programs Coordinator. “I’m proud of them and everything they have accomplished.”

Students shared that they appreciated their time at the University of Wyoming, and enjoyed conducting research.

“My favorite part is the fact that I’m doing a real project, and it’s not just filler work. I’m doing actual research.”
-Matthew Trujillo

“I really enjoy the research and new science concepts that I’m learning.”
            -Holden Bindl

Students also valued meeting other students from all around the country.

“I definitely liked meeting all of the people. It’s really exciting to be with new people.”
-Natalie Blaise
           
“My favorite part of SRAP was meeting all of the new people. I wasn’t expecting everyone to be so nice, but I came here and I have made lots of friends.”
                        -Paul Mesa

“It’s a life-altering experience. Not only for the students, but also for myself,” says Lisa. “There is nothing else like it.”

Wyoming EPSCoR would like to thank the students, mentors and everyone else who helped make SRAP 2014 a success. Thanks for a great summer of exciting research!  

By Robin Rasmussen
Photo Courtesy of Lisa Abeyta

No comments:

Post a Comment